Monday, February 16, 2015

Training and Life Recap: Week of February 9

It was another crazy week at work, but I did manage to get at least some of my workouts done. It was also crazy cold last week with most days in the minus-30s (Celsius).  I definitely feel a whole lot better when I get my training in and I was happy to be back, even if I didn't quite complete all my workouts and even though many of them were pretty tough. I just keep smiling and having fun with it and remember that I have to put in the work to get the results that I want in September!  Also, my TEAM COEUR kit came in the mail.  It is gorgeous and I can't wait to wear it proudly. Stay tuned for a bit more on the Coeur Sports Team and why I'm so excited to be part of this amazing group of women this season.

Monday: No workout

Tuesday: Morning swim was about 3000m for me. I ended up getting out early since I wasn't feeling well. Our main set was supposed to be 15x100m on 1:30 at race pace.  I did 10 of them holding 1:17/1:18.  It was hard for sure, but I am definitely slowly getting back to feeling good about my swimming.

Wednesday: Morning tempo run (15 minute warmup, 10 minutes at marathon pace (7:40), 10 minute cool down).  It was a cold one.  In the evening we had TTP, so an hour of spinning and an hour of strength and mobility work.  The spin was really tough with a few sets of 5 minutes at Z3 and 5 minutes at Z4 followed by twice through of 3x(1 minute at Z3, 1 minute at Z4, 1 minute at Z5).  My legs were feeling the effects of taking the prior week off of training.

Thursday: I did half my run (28 minutes instead of 50) in super cold temperatures (-20 Fahrenheit).  It was so windy and cold that I just had to turn back around and head home. 

Friday: Ended up being a rest day.  I woke up for swimming, but was so exhausted that I fell back asleep and didn't wake up until practice had already started. Oops.

Saturday: Track practice at the Dome.  My workout was 2x(3x800m at 3k pace with 2.5 minutes rest between) and 5 minutes rest between sets.  It was mentally challenging, since I didn't really feel that well to begin with, and 800s are kind of brutal.  I just kept telling myself, "just do one more," and I was able to get all the way through.  Despite feeling like crud, my pace was pretty good, so in the end I was happy with the workout and know that workouts like that build mental toughness for race day.  In the evening, Jenn and I had a girl's night for Valentine's. We made the most amazing chocolate mousse (with Pumpkin Spice Whiskey mixed in, oh man it was good!) and then we went to Beer Fest!

Sunday: Rest day as usual!  I went out to watch some friends run the Winter Man half marathon and marathon relay.  It was SOOOOOO cold. They are all brave/crazy for racing at -39 degrees. I was impressed at their dedication, that is for sure!

1 comment:

  1. I can't even imagine going outside in those conditions let alone exercising in them!!!! Good for you!!! Great week regardless...hope you are feeling better!! Oh and the Coeur kits are so freakin cute!!!!
    That chocolate mousse sounds delicious!!!